The target of this training is to acquaint the participant with the national and business culture of Japan. The participants gain awareness of the impact of culture on the day to day business. The training aims to create awareness of cultural diversity and to provide guidelines on how to use this diversity to your advantage and to the advantage of the team. You learn how to work successfully in the cross-cultural team with colleagues or business partners from Japan.
The workshop is interactive. The practical guidelines and cultural insights given are based on empirical data and studies from Trompenaars & Hampden Turner, Hofstede, Hall, Yoshida & Brislin etc. The activities are adapted to suit the needs of the team members. Authentic role-plays and activities are conducted. The participant is fully engaged in the training process throughout the workshop.
- What are important foundational facts about Japan?
- How does one empathize with Japanese partners?
- How does one respect Japanese hierarchy?
- What can be said about Japanese national culture?; exploring the incongruous juxtaposition of modern and traditional ways of life based on Zen
- What values inherent in behaviors; religion, societal structure and social obligations are worth noting?
- What are some practical guidelines / do’s and don’ts in business?
- Culture and its impact on behavior, structures and processes such as risk-taking, values and assumptions, motivation, leadership style and relationship-building, decision-making processes in Japan
- Self-awareness and perceptions; how are Western / German partners perceived by Japanese?
- The concept of time in business in Japan
- Cross-cultural communication; looking beyond the language; Japan a high-context culture vs. Western low-context culture
- Culture and communication – useful guidelines for negotiating with Japanese
- Team-Building and Leading; recognizing and dealing with diverse mindsets and approaches
- Protocol in business; greetings, titles, form of address, gestures, gifts, dress etc.
Focus topics listed describe suggested course material, as with all training, consultation, and coaching actual course material will be tailored to achieve targets set by our clients.
Azuza Hayashi, Our Expert on Cross-Cultural Awareness – Japan