Cross-Cultural Training Latin America focuses on those countries of Central and South America, where Spanish and Portuguese are spoken. At first glance, you might think that the culture of Latin America is the same as in Spain, as the language and behavior in many ways are very similar. Indeed, you can hardly deny many matches, because in Latin America, you live easily, punctuality is not a virtue, and laughing and dancing is as popular as in the more familiar country, Spain.
However, one must not ignore the differences that are often seen only on second glance. For example, the relocation of the residents of Latin America in unknown areas entailed that the social structures are even more closely than in Spain; and not only within the family like in Spain, but also with other villagers and acquaintances.
In Latin America, close physical contact is usual and a strong expression of emotions is very important in dealing with Latin Americans. Formal behavior is not seen as a respectful behavior, but rather as a dislike and can quickly lead to confusion between your Latin American business partners.
Our workshop provides insight into cultural differences in the fields of communication, hierarchy structures, negotiations, decision processes, behavior in conflict situations, team leading, etc. Intercultural awareness will be enhanced to ensure effective and successful collaboration with your Latin American business partners.
In our Cross-Cultural Training Latin America you will receive background information about the historical, political, cultural and economic background of Latin America’s development. You will gain knowledge about the opportunities and the challenges in collaboration with your Latin American business partners. The particularities of the Latin American corporate culture will be elaborated on. Experienced Latin American trainers and skilled intercultural consultants provide guidelines on how to adapt successfully to cultural differences and the approach to cultural diversity in collaboration with your Latin American business partners.
We explore key questions such as:
- How do I set priorities in a clear and diplomatic manner?
- Can I rely on my business partner’s verbal statements and commitments?
- When a meeting is interrupted by private talks about the family, then that’s a good or a bad sign?
- How much emotion is advised or even necessary in business negotiations?
- How do I point out to my business partner that he has to comply with given deadlines?
- How do I know what my Latin American business partner wants to say indirectly? How important is body language, facial expressions and gestures, especially in negotiations?
- How important is family and group orientation?
- How do rank and hierarchical structures impact on relationships?
- What do I have to consider concerning the regional differences? Is cooperation with/between Latin Americans from different countries challenging?
Focus topics listed describe suggested course material, as with all training, consultation, and coaching actual course material will be tailored to achieve targets set by our clients.
David Esteban George Yela, Our Expert on Cross-Cultural Awareness – Latin America